Image

Schnell Farm

3113 Wadsworth: Fred C. Schnell was the first five generations of Schnell’s to operate the farm near Wadsworth. The oldest standing building, the original farmhouse, dates to 1888. The Schnell Farm has the honor of being on the National Register of Historic Places, the Lakewood Register of Historic Landmarks and is one of Colorado’s Centennial…

Read More→

Cason Howell House

1575 Kipling The Cason Howell House was built by Cason Howell and his wife Mary, 1870-1874, on 160 acres of farmland acquired by the Howells in 1867. The Howells grew a variety of crops including oats, alfalfa, timothy and fruit trees. They also ran a dairy. The house was originally red brick, and its architecture…

Read More→

The Isaac Solomon Synagogue

1600 Pierce St. The Isaac Solomon Synagogue is located on the site of the former Jewish Consumptive Relief Society (JCRS) campus. Dr. Charles Spivak, a Russian immigrant, spearheaded the founding of JCRS. JCRS opened in 1904 with the purpose of housing patients thought to be too ill with tuberculosis to be treated. Patients of all…

Read More→

Addenbrooke Park

Southeast entrance of Addenbrooke Park at West Center Ave. & Garrison St Addenbrooke Park was the home of the same family for more than 100 years. John Everitt came to the Denver area in 1868-69 with his parents. He staked claims to land south of Alameda Ave. between Garrison and Kipling Streets in 1876. He…

Read More→

Panoramic Park

12655 W. Colfax Ave. Panoramic Park is owned jointly by the City of Lakewood and the Colorado Department of Transportation. Two monuments, the Blue Star Memorial Highway and the Abbie Dunston Roadside Park, are located in the park. Both monuments were dedicated June 5, 1961, and they were subsequently vandalized. They were replaced and re-dedicated…

Read More→

Rose Cottage

1800 Dover St. The Rose Cottage was built in 1918 on property owned by Abbie Jellison. James Jellison settled the area in 1892. The property encompassed 320 acres, and the family farmed and raised cattle there. The style of the Rose Cottage is American Folk Cottage. Suzanne Morley bought the house in 1991. The structure,…

Read More→

The Cline House

7020 W. 13th Ave The Cline House was built circa 1938. Lakewood pioneers, W. A. H. Loveland and C.C. Welch, owned the land on which it is located, prior to 1900. At that time, land was awarded to railroad developers. The house is what was called a “kit house.” Mr. Cline ordered a kit from…

Read More→

Mercy Grove

1980 Garland St. Mercy Grove, also known as Blue Manor because of the roof made of blue shingles, was built in 1935 for Fred J. Gall. The home also had blue awnings on three sides of the white wooden clapboard house. The architecture is pre-WWII Modern Movement. In 1946, the Sisters of Mercy purchased the…

Read More→

Hill Section – Golden Hill Cemetary

12000 W. Colfax The Hill Section of Golden Hill Cemetery is located near the intersection of W. Colfax Ave. and Union St., on a hill that slopes downward from W. Colfax Ave. The West Side Benevolent Society purchased the Golden Hill Cemetery in 1908. It basically served as a burial ground for the many Jewish…

Read More→

Ward House

2261 Estes St. The Ward House was originally part of a chicken farm built in 1928. The style of the house is a Depression Era Arts and Crafts farmhouse. It was in use as a chicken farm until 1933. Maude and Sam Huhn first inhabited the house. Maude was divorced from Al Ward. The chicken…

Read More→