Southeast entrance of Addenbrooke Park at West Center Ave. & Garrison St
Addenbrooke Park was the home of the same family for more than 100 years. John Everitt came to the Denver area in 1868-69 with his parents. He staked claims to land south of Alameda Ave. between Garrison and Kipling Streets in 1876. He constructed a house of 12′ x 14′ canvas framework. The roof was made of tins that Chinese merchants used to ship tea. John Everitt’s grandson, Tom, and his mother, Lura Addenbrooke, built the house that contained the fireplace. Tom was a geologist and a gemologist. He built the fireplace with rocks from every state and some from foreign countries. He also used Native American artifacts found on the property. The City of Lakewood bought 105 acres of the property in 1978. They bought 5 additional acres, including the Addenbrooke house, in 1987. The house was torn down in 1997; only the fireplace and a windmill located nearby remain today.