Image

Stone House

Yale and South Estes Street in Bear Creek Green Belt

Joseph Hodgson probably built the Stone House sometime between 1859 & 1864.. A letter from Joseph’s brother, William, filed with the Colorado Territorial Land Office stated that Joseph settled on the land in 1859, “since which time he has erected thereon a stone house 28 x 28 feet, one story high, shingle roof, plank floor, 10 doors, and 13 windows, and is a comfortable house to live in.” The architecture is Vernacular Folk House. The walls are covered with stones from Bear Creek, meticulously chosen for their color and shape. The house had a number of owners until it was sold to the City of Lakewood in 1973. When the City acquired the property, the house was in very poor condition. It was restored, 1975 – 1976, and is now used for special events. The Stone House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places, due to its “uniquely appealing scale and character.”

Leave a Reply

 

This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.