1600 Pierce St.
The Isaac Solomon Synagogue is located on the site of the former Jewish Consumptive Relief Society (JCRS) campus. Dr. Charles Spivak, a Russian immigrant, spearheaded the founding of JCRS. JCRS opened in 1904 with the purpose of housing patients thought to be too ill with tuberculosis to be treated. Patients of all denominations were welcomed no matter what their economic status. When it opened, JCRS consisted of one administrative building and six canvas tents that housed the patients. Isaac Solomon built the synagogue in 1911 in memory of his son, Jacob, who died of tuberculosis. The original synagogue burned, and the current synagogue was opened in 1926. The architecture of the synagogue is Moorish style. It is built of red brick with ogee arches and creamy terracotta. It has a flat, parapet roof and gothic windows. There was a library in the rear. The 10′ x 12′ patient tent has been moved from its original location, and it has been restored. It is believed to be the last remaining intact structure of its kind in the Western United States. Medical advances in finding a tuberculosis cure caused JCRS to close its doors in 1954. The AMC Cancer Research Center subsequently bought the property, and it is now owned by the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design. Throughout the years, the synagogue has fallen into disrepair from “benign neglect.” The Isaac Solomon Historic Synagogue Foundation was created in 2001 to raise funds to renovate, maintain, repair, and restore the structure. For more information, see Isaac Solomon Synagogue. The synagogue has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Colorado State Register of Historic Properties.